EU family member card (tarjeta de familiar comunitario)

EU family member card is a residence permit granted to the NON-EU family members of EU passport holder. The initial card is normally issued for 5 years and can be renewed after the 5 years for 10 years permanent card. The holder of this type of NIE card is allowed to work legally in Spain.

Who can apply? 

  • Wife/ husband*
  • Registered partner in EU country*
  • Child under 26 years*
  • Not registered partner (justified cohabitation for at least 1 year)
  • Any dependent family member
  • Any family member (justified 2 years of cohabitation in the home country)

*we can help with your application in theses cases


  1. Prepare all the necessary documents
  2. Send us all documents in PDF
  3. We submit the documents online with our lawyers
  4. Wait for the resolution (waiting time depends on the immigration office)
  5. Get the fingerprinting appointment in the police office
  6. Wait for about 45 days for the TIE card to be ready
  7. Pick up the TIE card

The whole process usually takes 3-5 months (from submiting the documents online) but this depends on the on the province and time of the year.

The main documents to get ready:

1. The documents that proof the relationship

  • Marriage certificate (for wife/husband)
  • Partnership certificate (for registered partners)
  • Birth certificate (for children under 26 years)
  • Additional documents (for other family members/not registered partners)

2. The documents that confirm the status fo the EU national in Spain (if he/she can support the NON-EU family member/s)

The EU passport holder should comply with one of the following:

  • work for Spanish company
  • be registered as autonomo
  • have enough funds
  • private health insurance for the NON-EU family member is required in some provinces

To analyse your case, help you prepare all the documents, submit the documents online and to guide you through the whole process, please contact us by the application form or send us an e-mail to